Saturday, December 15, 2007

Animal Brutality

Ok... I'm the first one to admit, I eat meat. I eat dairy. I have a couple of long leather skirts (I haven't worn them coz it's scorching heat here in the Philippines) and probably have leather shoes somewhere and have definitely sat on real leather couches. I haven't had worn fur, but used to have gray winter boots with fur sent to me by my cousin from Canada when I was in grade school, and no I haven't worn them either. Who could wear winter boots in a tropical country? Hehehe.

But after watching the videos on the PETA website, my view has changed. The things I saw on the site, honestly, made me sick to my stomach. I was mortified.

You think in this modern world, things like this don't happen? You think, surely, there are laws to prevent this kind of thing. But, there really aren't. And brutal things like that, still, really happen. Even here in the Philippines.

I can watch autopsy videos, look at car crash victims, all sorts of bodily infections, and all that gross stuff, and I don't flinch. But those videos, of things people do to those poor animals, made me sick. Literally. I wanted to cry.

I'm sure most of you are thinking, who cares? Chickens are going to lay eggs regardless. Why not eat the eggs? They are going to keep killing cows regardless of whether I eat it or not, so I may as well just eat beef. Cows are always going to produce milk, so why not drink it? And so on. But when you see the brutality and appalling conditions all of these animals go through in their lifetimes, it's absolutely disgusting. I can't believe it still goes on in this modern world.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not some vegan preaching my ways to you. I'm just someone who's eyes have been opened to the "common" horrible ways these animals are being treated. For food, for products, for fur, for medical research, for entertainment! It's horrifying.

Especially when there are other alternatives out there. These things don't need to be happening. You can still eat your eggs, drink your milk and so on, without having to put these animals through hell. There are other ways.

If you can honestly watch those videos, and say it doesn't effect you, then there is seriously something wrong with you. You can't tell me skinning raccoons and other creatures alive, for their fur, is ok. They literally have the fur ripped from their bodies while they are alive, and are left to die a slow and painful death in their naked, skinless bodies. You can't tell me boiling cats and dogs alive, to remove their hair, so they can later be made into food, is ok. You can't tell me throwing turkeys and chickens up against a wall until they die, is ok. It's not ok.

Do something worthwhile today..

Watch those videos... PETA.

You might also wanna see Pigs on Factory Farms.


P.S
We were at the Deadman's Party XII around 12 midnight. The gig was ok, not that smashing. Unlike before, there used to be hell of a crowd. Pics and videos from the gig will be posted next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment