Monday, October 13, 2008

Blood Suckers

I watched "True Blood" again hehehe. It's a TV series for some of you who doesn't know. It's pretty common knowledge, and some of my close friends know that I am into vampire movies, episodes, or TV series. When I was in grade school, I started watching and reading vampire and horror books and comics. I then became a fan of Anne Rice. I remember my tutor began to worry, she thought what I was reading was too "advanced" for my age. Hehehe. But my parents don't mind what I was reading back then.

I remember my MOM (a Grammar and an English Literature teacher) once told me.. "reading makes you smarter, that would mean having a large vocabulary and more knowledge, in addition to having the abstract reasoning skills".. something like that. In my opionion, reading widens your knowledge and also develops verbal intelligence.

Anyway, back to "True Blood".. while I was watching, I was thinking if I could dream of it happening. Hahaha. Silly me. I hope not. I am really picky about the kind of vampire stories and movies that I like though. Last week, I again watched "30 Days of Nights" which I find really lame, but I have watched it for like 4 times already hahaha. That movie really sucks.

I like vampires with depth of character. In other words, I am not fond of the typical blood sucking horn ball "bad guy" that is the target of the "good guy" in the movie or book. I hate the "Blade" movies for example, and I am lukewarm about "Dracula". I know that the rule about vampires is that they cannot come out in the daylight is a 20th century idea propagated by the director of the silent movie "Nosferatu", but I am a sucker for that rule and any time a vampire is seen out in the daylight just ruins everything for me. I love that in "True Blood" the vampires really only do come out at night. I also like to have vampires in the movies that really sleep in coffins. I am also fond of the premise that the vampires are "out". That is why I love watching "Interview with the Vampire" over and over again. It is so gothic, and a classic. Everything about being a vampire is there.

Haaayy.. I like it when the monsters are not monsters entirely, but people and metaphors for the human condition. It turns me on. It is a rare thing for me to be made to feel so utterly salacious too. I shall cherish this I think.

So if some of you are into vamps, you would totally love the recaps on Television Without Pity. They're quite of oddly philosophical and you can tell whoever writes them is kinda into vampires.

1 comment:

  1. Please tell me you're getting those VampFangs! (=-


    *squeeze*
    Love ya sis

    ReplyDelete