Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Nature of My Work

I will not completely depict what my work is, because it may end up to be a long post.

With my work, I come across American clients, or people of different naionalities living in the United States. And (especially) Filipinos who speak different dialects. It is really fantastic to actually learn how to say some words in different languages. Mind you, I speak english pretty well that you can hardly tell that I have an accent. So, aside from my sanity-saving ways of poking fun, my work is a serious job. It entails a lot of patience, discretion, and a talent for multi-tasking.

Although I get back pains, lack of sleep, and soar throat at times from talking, my job has its perks. I can play good with the nice clients and purposely make it hard for the difficult, naughty and rude ones. So, my computer serves as my iron-clad fists of control and I can usually manipulate them in ways they cannot imagine.

I sit, talk, and face the computer for hours on end without the luxuries of having long breaks and lunches. I only use PMS excuses or even going on bathroom breaks. We are only allowed one personal AUX for 6 minutes for the whole 8 hour shift, but I am already over-using my personal AUX's 3-4 times for 8 hours, that is because I have "balisawsaw". Hehehe. During heavy queues, I usually joke around about needing a catheter or having to wear a diaper when it's really queuing. Trust me working straight 8 hours shift talking (well.. more of arguing) where the rule "always put a smile on your face" is no simple task. And at the end of my shift, i'd have to check on the adjustments I made and make sure that it is approved and done properly. I adjust dollars, not pesos. So it's not a joke to make mistakes when applying adjustments.

Although there is an in-front customer code of conduct to follow, I can't help but sometimes be like you gossipy girls (even boys are the same hehehe) once I have left my table and hit the pantry. and despite the nature of my work, my imagination can get creatively wild.

Chismis, power trips aside, sore throat, stress, lack of sleep, and aching back (good thing I could hit Skinetics once a month to get a body massags), it's still a job worth every experience it offers. Plus, I work with highly intelligent people.

Hopefully, your job is like that too. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment