Saturday, November 08, 2008

Obama: Black in White House

I think I will be moving to the US. lol. :D

I am currently living in the Philippines, and I don't get it why I am very excited about Obama being the president of the United States of America. why oh why? lol.

It's the first time in my life I have really get to be interested to a President. And let me tell you, I always hated the president of the Philippines. Maybe that's the only thing in this country that I am not proud of. Watching Obama's achievement and victory and the videos of other countries celebrating... it was very moving. So, my question is.. when will the Philippines achieve this and have a good leader?

I remember watching a movie and reading books about black people. There was one movie that has a sign under the bridge that read, "no nig***rs allowed". there were places that white people went and places that black people went. The black kids sat on one half of the classroom and the white on the other. Racism back then in the USA was so far from dead.

I also have heard stories from black people I have spoke with at work (over the phone, they were my clients), one of them asked me "are you happy about our new president? (by the way, the lady thought I was also in the US, hehehe) she then told me that when she was a kid and when their teacher asked everyone in class what they wanted to be... none of the black kids said they wanted to be president. She said she never thought about it before. she is 64 years old, and never did she thought she would be alive for the first black president.

My cousin's mother-in-law is a teacher in Chicago and a lot of the children there are dominican. She said they were cheering and saying that maybe someday they could grow up to be presidents too. Imagine the hope those children feel. They are always trying to be blonder and say they are more white than the other kids. And finally, they have a reason to feel they might be equal to white people. They think, "If a black man is the most powerful and respected man in the country, maybe I can be respected and grow up to really be somebody too."








So, I think it's such a powerful choice that their country has made.

I hope, the Philippines would have a better president. I want to see it happen. Now if I ever have a kid, maybe they won't ever know that terrible sick feeling of listening to someone degrade another person for their color and race. And respect for the leader of our country? It's like a breath of fresh air. I want this to happen in this country soon.

1 comment:

  1. "If a black man is the most powerful and respected man in the country, maybe I can be respected and grow up to really be somebody too." - YOU BET! I'm a big Obama fan. He's a genuine leader to me. One who inspires and not one who's walking in the park. This is the time when it's really cool to tell people, yeah that I'm American. Feels good. It's a dream. That in America, you can be whoever you are and be a President. Thank you pala for visiting. My lolo and my father is Ilongo.

    ReplyDelete